perjantai 13. toukokuuta 2016

My tips for float tube fishing


 
 

I've float tube fishing for pike in Finland for over 6 years now. I have seen the style grow to a popularity. Every year I get to give tips to newbies who are interested in fishing with a float tube. So now I decided to write a blog about the tips I've given in the past years and also the things I have found useful while fishing from a tube.
I'm not going to tell you that my way is the only way. It's just the way I enjoy float tubing the most.


1. Buy a good quality float tube like Fishcat which I've been using for the entire time I've fished with a tube or Berkley, Vision keeper or Guideline drifter. The main thing is to buy a tube big enough to carry you on the water without you sitting under the water. So if you are closer to a 100kg I do suggest you get a bigger model from any of the brands.



2. Buy a good pair of open heel scuba flippers in size xl or even xxl if you have a big foot size. This will allow you to use a scuba boot or a wading boot inside the flippers which makes getting in and out of water much simpler. Also I have found this to give you more airspace for your toes which keeps them warmer in cold waters.

3. Use neoprene waders or a drysuit/survival suit in cold waters. Neoprene waders are a bitch on shore but in the water they are much warmer than the normal waders. Also neoprene tends to last longer in tube fishing and they usually are cheaper to get.

4. Get an inflatable life-west for security or even a survival suit like the Ursuit MPS which I use under the top layer of clothes.


 
5. I use a line basket attached to the side of my tube as you can see in the picture. This keeps the line from tangling and also gives me a correct line stripping motion. You can also use the basic line net which comes with most tubes and is set to your lap but I personally find it to be in my say when handling a fish.

6. Get a good and big enough dry sack to stow your stuff in as usually everything gets wet while using a tube.

7. Make sure your tube comes with shoulder straps that you can use to carry the tube around when on dryland. These will make it easy for you to walk longer distances with your tube.


8. Last but not least. Never ever over fill your tube on a sunny day. Your tube will work perfectly even if it is not filled to the max. It should always have room for a little expansion.

 

-          Janne Vuoristo

2 kommenttia: